name:English (United Kingdom) Tasting Chianti: the wine cellars you can not miss in Chiantishire

Tasting Chianti: the wine cellars you can not miss in Chiantishire

When you say Tuscany, you think “excellent wine”, when you say Chianti, the first image in front of you is the pink label with the Black Rooster (Gallo Nero) on the golden background, that is the symbol of Chianti Classico.

It is certainly one of the most renowned Tuscan wines in Italy and around the world, but other excellent products arise from this land. If you are on holiday in Siena, a wine tasting tour – or more than one – in the best wine cellars of the area, is essential. Just tasting the sweet nectar of Bacchus and enjoying its fragrances and flavours, you can come back home with an authentic memory of Tuscany.

Chianti Classico

The expression Chianti Classico denotes the most ancient heart of Chiantishire, a territory extending between the provinces of Florence and Siena, including 14 municipalities. Its boundaries were decided by an edict from the Gran Duke Cosimo III de’ Medici in 1716. Around these lands, the Chianti Classico wine was born, produced since Etruscan time and used as a bargaining chip.

Let us see now what distinguishes Chianti Classico – recognisable by the Black Rooster label – from the other excellence of Chianti: the denomination of “Classico” stems from its composition. This should have 80% of Sangiovese vine variety and the remaining 20% according to the choice of the producer, who usually chooses one vine variety among Colorino, Canaiolo, Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot.

Chianti Classico is a DOCG wine, a valuable recognition for such a unique taste.

The best wine cellars  

If you are spending your holiday in Siena, it will be really simple – and pleasant of course – for you to visit some of the most renowned wineries in the Chianti Classico’s region. Almost all organise tastings with tours in the wine cellars, some request booking, in others you can just get there and take part in a wine tour. We strongly suggest you to call the winery before going.

In the municipality of Greve in Chianti, stop at Viticcio, where a member of the family will escort you in a journey across the world of wine: from the vineyards, you will reach the wine cellar until the moment of tasting.

A few kilometres from there, stop at Castello di Verrazzano, where you will walk in the historic wine cellars, discover the extraordinary rooms of the villa and enjoy the products of the local grape.

If you love castles, visit Brolio (Gaiole in Chianti) with the winery of Baron Ricasoli. Here, besides the wine, you can taste and purchase honey and extra virgin oil.  

Another fascinating location, in the hills of Siena, is the Casa del Chianti Classico (Home of the Black Rooster), in the town of Radda in Chianti. A refuge of eno-cultural excellence maintaining the greatest collection of Chianti Classico labels in the world. Book a guided tour of the winery: you can not find such valuable bottles anywhere.

 

Take advantage of this offer to discover Siena

Check availability
Book Call DASHBOARD_EMAIL